Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tubes
Tauno Voipio Tauno Voipio is offline

Default What is the most powerful audio output tube?

On 8.12.16 17:19, wrote:
What is the most powerful audio output tube, as far as RMS wattage
output?

I have gotten some powerful sound from four 6L6 tubes in push-pull
parallel. but I want more. I know it's possible to use eight 6L6 tubes,
which I believe is called " push-pull parallel - parallel", but I'm
looking into other possible tubes.

At one time, I thought the 807 tube was more powerful than the 6L6, but
after careful research, it's almost identical, but with a different
envelope (plate on the top cap).

I'm looking to get a full 500W RMS (or more) output (per channel), from
all tubes, .... With four 6L6 tubes in PPP, I can only get around 120W
RMS (per channel).

807 is the transmitting version of 6L6, so it's no wonder that it looks
similar.

For the power level you're after, you may need real transmitting tubes,
e.g. a pair of 3-500Z's. Please understand that the voltages and
currents encountered at those power levels will be lethal in careless
hands.

--

-TV