Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Just twisted my ankle over a BOSS Headphone . . .

"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message
On Oct 3, 3:35 pm, "geoff" wrote:

ChrisCoaster wrote:

I wonder whicvh major headphone manufacturer actually made them ? Many
are
actually made for other companies by AT....

Probably made by somone in China who was cloning some well-known
manufacturer's product, more or less. The most remarkable spec I see is the
use of relatively large 45 mm drivers in a set of headphones at this price
point. You can easily pay 3 times as much for 45 mm drivers. However, the
FR curve admits that they roll off the bass, so at least that benefit of
large drivers is not being fully delivered. So, the myth of driver response
versus low end extension has been carried over from regular speakers.

At this price point, if you are really interested, just buy a pair and see
how they work. If they are not excruciatingly horrible you can at least use
them to repair equipment. If you really like them then you can use them for
your more critical work.

That does not explain their flat frequency response. Go on google
image and keyword rh-300 and frequency response and you'll see what I
mean! only a tiny trough around 7k but otherwise ruler flat.

The actual frequency response of headphones and the desired frequency
response of headphones varies from listener to listener. Headphone FR is
nothing as simple as our usual desire for flat frequency response in
amplifiers and consoles (with their eq controls set flat).

The microphone coupling device that is typically used for measuring is
probably not that far out of the ballpark, but in fact its leading charm is
that it is standardized. IOW, it makes no special attempt to duplicate
actual use. It does not include a good simulation of pinnae, HRTF, or ear
canal effects. IOW, it does not try to duplicate the acoustics of the
pinnae and the ear canal that every headphone has to work with.

We also know that actual use varies from person to person because the pinnae
and the ear canal varies tremendously from person to person. There are
psychological and perceptual effects on top of the simple mechanics. For
example some people are tremendously put off by the imaging of headphones
and earphones, and other people are fine with it.