Nousaine

Default Subwoofer direction

Eddie Runner wrote:

Hi ya Daxe...
Tom wrote an article in a car stereo magazine a few years ago
that claims moving the box around in a car DOESNT MATTER
the direction the woofers face DOESNT MATTER
and that there are no BASS standing waves in a car and alot of
other things that most of us know are UNTRUE....

So what is true Eddie? Your little cartoons drawings or real time-based
acoustical measurements made with real woofers in real cars.

At the time of the article the TeamROCS guys did an expose article
online debunking the article by Tom Nousaine with lots of meters
test equiment and pictures, I dont know if its still on the teamrocs website
or not......

I read Toms article and noticed his TEST CAR WAS A CORVETTE!
ha ha ha Not much area to move a box around in that little car at all so
I guess thats why his results were flawed...

Published results were prior to Corvette time Eddie. But since 1988 I've used a
Saab 99, Volvo 240 wagon, Taurus, Areostar, Integra, CRX, Camaro Z28,
Bonneville, X-Cab Chevie Pick-up and 3 different Corvettes for woofer
evaluations.

I know Tom is sensitive to this issue so I try to avoid what is so natural
to me.. (BUSTING IN TELLING HIM HE IS A LIAR... ha ha ha)

So I will just let you know the history of his statements.... ;-)

He ignores my article
http://www.installer.com/tech/aiming.html
and wont have a decent conversation about why standing waves
CAN and DO occur in a car in the bass region....

I've been to your site Eddie and your anaysis is so amateur its hard not to
laugh.

Oh well...

Eddie Runner
http://www.installer.com/tech/

Oh well, indeed ....

daxe wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote in message

speaker location is irrrelevant below 60

Hz. Moving the woofer back and forth makes no difference; nor does cone
direction.

I appreciate your gobbledygook, but it wouldnt have solved my problem when

had it. Keep that in mind when "we should be careful to attribute effects

the proper cause." Explaining why a successful solution hasn't actually
worked has pretty limited value, it seems.

OK..so its not standing waves...as long as it sounds better, I dont care
what the name of the reason is. And your assertion that changing the
position of the speaker enclosure doesnt make a difference is wrong,
regardless of what your empirical knowledge suggests. My ears can tell the
difference and that's the only test equipment that matters. It was hardly

subtle change, so it's not my imagination.

~daxe