Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

Default uTracer - tube curve tracer [kit]

On 10/09/16 01:15, John L Stewart so wittily quipped:
Simply place the load Rl across the primary of one good OPT, find the
load that gives the desired result. Works in SE or PP, I've often done
it that way.

that works up to a point, but if you need "that much power" it becomes
harder selecting something that can perform at the extremes.

still not a bad idea. If I could get away with 8 ohms through 100 ohms
on the secondary, it'd probably work. Using a frequency close to 1khz
might help. but yeah, average OPT won't handle the 50W (let's say) from
a mega-tube running in triode config class A SE mode. So at least one
"big fat transformer" to handle THAT one, then if the interelectrode
inconsistencies don't cause something *nasty* to happen, put a 1k load
on it for small fry... ?

some low power SE triodes might want 20k impedence. Others might want
2k. so 100 ohms to turn a ~2k into a 20k impedence on the primary,
assuming that a) inductance is sufficient, and b) impedence matching
like that is relatively linear.