Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt[_2_] Dave Platt[_2_] is offline

Default How to get reverb on vocals while recording?

In article ,
Peibyn wrote:

Dave Platt, many thanks! I feel you've understood my situation and as a
result of what you've advised, I immediately want to start
experimenting!

I have Audacity 2.0.0 loaded on my computer. Once the vocal line is
loaded into it could you tell me, please, what I can do to add
high-quality (realistic) reverberation?

Go to

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/plugins

for a list of currently-available plugins.

http://lv2plug.in/ has a bunch, based on the relatively new LV2
interface standard. Look under "Projects". Calf, and Invada studio
both include a reverb module.

http://www.ladspa.org/cmt/ has one revert module.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/GVerb talks about Freeverb (in the
CMT), and GVerb and Anwida.

I haven't personally experimented with any of these.

In addition, because Audacity supports open standards for plugin
interfaces, there may very well be commercial reverb plugins which
would work with Audacity.

About ten years ago, when last preparing a recording that has been
selling quite well ever since, I went to Audacity's "Effect" tab and
tried using what was probably the most obvious Reverb choice that I
found there, but the result was horrendous.

With any reverb plugin/module/effect, you can expect that a bunch of
experimentation is going to be required to figure out what settings
are appropriate for your particular source material, needs, and
personal taste. The GVerb page mentioned above has a bunch of
suggested settings for different needs, which "sound a lot better than
the GVerb defaults" (which may have been what you encountered).