Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default How pure is the signal when it reaches our ears?

On Friday, January 31, 2014 11:25:49 AM UTC-8, ScottW wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message=20
=20
=20
On Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:08:55 PM UTC-8, ScottW wrote:
=20
On Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:50:43 PM UTC-8, Scott wrote:

=20

=20
On Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:00:29 AM UTC-8, ScottW wrote:

=20
=20
=20
Which is irrelevant to my point that a clipped digital signal is one thi=

ng that=20
=20
would make a brick walled source signal particularly difficult to cut. Y=

ou=20
=20
still have yet to explain how a cutter filters such a signal.

=20

=20
=20
=20
Ok...another reference though I'm beginning to wonder if it will matter.
=20
=20
=20
http://gottagrooverecords.com/vinyl-mastering/
=20
=20
=20
We work from the assumption that your master is "vinyl ready". We do not=

alter=20
=20
your audio without contacting you first. That being said, a couple of th=

ings=20
=20
generally happen when your audio is cut to a master disc. A low cut filte=

r is=20
=20
used at 40Hz to control and maintain the bass frequency information of th=

e=20
=20
audio. This keeps the grooves from slamming into one another and helps f=

it your=20
=20
audio into the space provided by the lacquer disc. A high cut filter is =

placed=20
=20
around 16Khz to help control high frequency information in the audio. Th=

e vinyl=20
=20
medium does not "like" a lot of high frequency information. Instruments =

such as=20
=20
hi-hats, cymbals and tambourines often cause distortion if all high end i=

s=20
=20
allowed to pass through to the cutting lathe. Vocals that contain a lot =

of=20
=20
"SSSS" sounds (sibilance) will also cause a distorted sound on your maste=

r=20
=20
recording if not properly treated.
=20
Our mastering chain is clean and simple, in order to provide the highest =

quality=20
=20
and least alteration of your sound. We use a classic Neumann VMS-70 cutt=

ing=20
=20
lathe, which has been an industry standard for over 35 years. All audio =

is=20
=20
loaded into a specially built computer system that uses professional leve=

l=20
=20
software and plug-ins. Audio out of the computer is converted to analog =

via a=20
=20
Lynx II soundcard/converter which supplies clean, uncolored audio for the=

lathe=20
=20
to cut. The audio is routed directly into the cutting lathe rack from th=

e=20
=20
soundcard. Our Neumann VG 74 B cutting rack includes a high frequency li=

miter=20
=20
that helps to reduce the possibility for distortion by compressing certai=

n high=20
=20
frequency material.

So you found one mastering facility out of how many that actually does "gen=
erally" roll the highs and lows. Still no mention of folding the bass to mo=
no. 1. Who is Gottagroove records? 2. So what? You found one facility that =
"generally" two out of the three things you were asserting is done to the v=
ast majority of records. The RTI webpage that you cited as a reference sure=
didn't support any of your assertions. Nothing at Bernie Grundman's webpag=
e to support them. http://www.berniegrundmanmastering.c...nical/disc_cu=
t.html I don't see anything at Cohearant either. http://www.berniegrundman=
mastering.com/technical/disc_cut.html How about Sterling? http://sterling-=
sound.com/mastering/about/ Nothinin. Now you could talk to the cutting engi=
neers at these, the finest cutting facilities in the world and get their ta=
ke on these things. Or you can cherry pick one facility that was opened in =
2009 and has no track record in the industry.=20
=20
=20
=20
=20
=20
or a discussion board if you prefer.
=20
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/maste...astering-guid=

elines-2.html
=20
=20
=20
Most interesting point in that thread to me is the claim that vinyl can b=

e=20
=20
better than CD...it has to be no more than 6-9 min per side at 45 rpm.

Not even relevant much less a reliable source.=20
=20
=20
=20

=20

=20

=20
It's clear you don't understand that to have a wave shape the cutter =

can't=20
=20
handle that wave must have frequency components or levels outside the r=

ange of=20
=20
the cutter. Levels are always adjusted in transfer from one media t=

o=20
=20
another and there will be at least two stages of filtering to eliminate=

=20
=20
unacceptable frequency components before cutting.

=20
=20
=20
Sorry but you are just plain wrong about that. Ever heard of a square wa=

ve? Do=20
=20
tell me how a square wave has to have a component or level outside of th=

e range=20
=20
of a cutter? It's the geometry that makes it pretty much impossible to =

cut.=20
=20
Not the frequency and not the amplitude. So tell us how this sort of wav=

e is=20
=20
filtered by the cutter.

=20
=20
=20
The geometry of a sqaure wave is directly related to the frequency conten=

t.