Posted to rec.audio.high-end
news news is offline

Default How pure is the signal when it reaches our ears?

"ST" wrote in message ...

---------SNIP-------
A simple speaker's measurement of loudness itself reveals at any other
distance of 1 meter it varies so much that the measurement becomes so
much meaningless for a proper evaluation of speakers. That's exactly the
reason why some manufacturers are not publishing the technical specs other
than what's can be measured by point to point wired measurements. That
medium (wires) is stable and repeatable but not the measurements involving
signals traveling through the air which varies with temperature, pressure,
wind and many others factors.

We are actually listening to wavy, wobbly and jittery signal all the time.
That's natural. Vinyl signal maybe be distorted but it may be the correct
representation of the way real signal reaching our ears or at least make

it as close as what actually reaches our ears in live sound.

ST

In your listening room, There are not going to be fans blowing because they
make audible and electrical noise. There maybe a gradient temperature
difference across the room, but they are not likely to be large temp
differences. There could be air conditioning or up north a furnace running.
Some listeners will turn off heating and cooling systems again to reduce
background noise, and possible electrical interference. You can close
windows too to block outside noise from getting into your listening area and
again this will reduce temp differences. The temperature differences will
cause slight air currents. The air pressure in the room is not going to
change much unless there is blowing air or large temperature differences.

These possible sources of air differences occur everywhere and as a listener
you can reduce the number of changes. Everywhere you go and hear something
or talk to someone; this is going on. I wouldn't doubt that our brains have
adapted to this. I think your barking up the wrong tree.

Shaun