Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default WAY, WAY off the topic question regarding turntables.....

In article , "MOSFET" wrote:
Oh I forgot, those garbage can speakers
I made in 1970 used 10 inch Radio Shack coaxials.
You turn the plastic can upside down, cut the hole out
with a knife and put mounting holes in, stuff the inside
with something like a pillow, turn it back over and rock.
It was something you can do in the Army barracks
without much of anything.

greg

I love these kind of stories, I really do. You seem very much like myself
as a kid, not a lot of money, but an absolute LOVE of music and the gear
that plays the music. Oh, and a desire to listen at ear-bleeding levels.

My first stereo had tha AT60 changer and I built a Knight-Kit transistor amp.
I bought 2- 12 inch Utah drivers and 2 Olsen horns. I think my dad helped build
a small cabinet. This was in about 8th or 9th grade. Later I built
a Eico FM tuner. I had built tons of kits also being into ham radio.

In the 70's after I got a job in Barstow, I was buying more expensive equipment.
I picked up a large reel Teac. That was a nightmare. I didn't use it much because
it would chew the tapes. I finally figured it needed new tape heads. I actually
started to lap the heads. It was getting better, then went downhill. New
heads fixed the recorder. I could not figure how it was bad from the dealer,
but I waited too long after I paid $500 in 1975 money. Finally got 2 SWTP 200
watt amp kits to drive my Bose speakers. Before that I built one from scratch
that was only 100 watts. In the early 80's I got into major speaker building,
and I got much influence from Speaker Builder mag. I built dozens of
different speakers. My parents basement in Pittsburgh was filled with boxes.
I was selling some to DJ's and other folks. I really liked the
way my cheap set of Altec Voice of the Theater look alikes made
rock sound live. It was all the plywood.

greg