Bruce J. Richman

Default A good midprice turntable cartridge

Alan Tremblay wrote:

Thank you everyone for your recommendations!

Well, so far the AT440 seems to have the edge... I'm only wondering
how it will react to some old and not-so-clean LPs. Aren't high
precision carts more sensitive to scratches and dirt? Maybe I could
try to find another TT and have one for crappy LPs and another for
mint condition ones...

You may not be able to eliminate scratches on your records that are deep enough
to produce audible noise (not all scratches are audible during playback).
However, the best product I've found to deal with dirty records, which can
produce a lot of noise, is the Disc Doctor brush and cleaner system. These
products have been endorsed by a number of record archives, journalists, etc.
You can read about them at:

www.discdoc.com

The "before-and-after" effects of this system on really dirty records is not
subtle! Check it out.

Anyway, for the moment, the old M91ED is working great for the money
I've put on it... And it's not a bad cart, from some posts I read in
the archives.

Thanks again.

Bruce J. Richman