dave weil

Default A good midprice turntable cartridge

On 13 Aug 2003 21:02:51 -0700, (Allan Tremblay)
wrote:

I just got a Dual 1216 turntable at the flea market this weekend, in
good working condition. It has a Shure M91ED cartridge, and I bought a
new but cheap imitation stylus which seems to work fine so far. I'm
having a great time rediscovering my LP collection, but I'm thinking
about getting a better quality cartridge and starting building a
collection of brand new records, mainly jazz stuff (Blue Note offers a
lot of reasonably priced LP reissues).

I looked around on the web and newsgroup, and am considering Shure,
Audio-Technica and maybe Grado. I looked at Garage-a-Records, and
picked those three for comparison purpose. They're all slightly below
a 100$ and seem to be generally well regarded:

Shure M97xE
Audio-Technica AT440ML
Grado Silver

I'd like to read opinions on these from people who have actually used
them. Opinions on cheaper but good value cartridges are welcomed, too.
I have a modest set-up, so I'm not considering high-end equipment.

Thanks everybody!

I bought a simple Grado Black for my ProJect One turntable and have
been very happy. It is an interim cartridge until I can afford
something better.

Grados *can* be hum producers on certain turntables, and I don't know
how they are on Duals, so you might want to try to borrow one if
possible and see how it performs. Of course, for the $35 that one
costs, you can probably afford to experiment.