Paul Stamler

Default Recommend a ~$400 2-channel tube mic-preamp?

"Monte P McGuire" wrote in message
Paul Stamler wrote:
Monte, while I think you're right and the troll is wrong, I also have
dramatically lowered noise in preamps by adding various things to the

power
supply, the same sorts of things that a power conditioner adds -- serious
RFI filtering. In an extremely high RFI field, it can make a difference.

That's certainly possible, but I think you'd want to do it inside of
the chassis, and not at the end of a power cord to really get it
right. Not that adding some ferrite and shunt capacitance to the
power cord _couldn't_ work, but that it's a better fix to open the box
up and deal with how cables pass in and out of the chassis and whether
RF can travel through the cabling into the circuit.

Agreed, and that's what I did. But a good line filter can get line-borne
crud out of several pieces of equipment at once, which is economical, and
won't void the warranty, which soldering bits inside the chassis will.

Peace,
Paul