Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Recommend a ~$400 2-channel tube mic-preamp?

On 14/11/2018 8:03 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, March 25, 2004 at 7:22:51 PM UTC-6, £ Î Z @ R Ð wrote:
Anyone have a good recommendation for a warm, tube, 2-channel mic preamp for
around four hundred clams?

--
*·.¸_¸.·'¨¨)
¸.·'

Go to
http://www.guestroomproject.com/ to
hear some music from my upcoming solo album,
the Guestroom Project. I play all the instruments.

In case anyone else stumble across this thread I will say...Scott Dorsey is full of ****e! The ART Pro MPAII is a fantastic, mic preamp with full voltage going to the tubes (150 volts). It is also very sensitive to tube changes. I've extensively tested many NOS tubes and found JAN Phillips 5751s are the best. I've A/Bd the ART Pro MPAII with the JAN Phillips 5751s against many high end pres like the UA610, and the Analog Designs Black Box pre and neither can hold a candle to the modded ART.

Um, if a preamp is that great why is it so sensitive to tube changes -
I'd call that a weak point.

Also what is 'best' ? What you mean is that the preamp with that
particular tube was most to your subjective liking - unless the others
tried actually caused problems ?

I'm glad you prefer you preamp to various others, but that doesn't mean
everybody has to, even if it good value for money.

Myself, I'd prefer a neutral accurate preamp, but that's just me.

geoff