Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Kele Kele is offline

Default Amplitude, Power, Gain, Loudness, Volume

My speakers don't start to "party" until about 10 watts. Below that and the sound is lacking presence. Another pair of speakers I've had in the same room are much more refined and delicate and could be more believable at lower volumes.

I don't think a mic is going to interpret the actual volume received by everyone. Interesting that the Conductor chose the most like recorded volume... the person in the spot where mics are usually placed.

My sub can be made louder with proximity reinforcement from walls, floor, etc. Maybe the sound reflection convergence (like ripples on water ;p ) multiplies the sound hence most test subjects "erred" louder... from their perspective.

My stereo is incapable of rock-concert playback levels, nor can it reproduce the intensity of a real explosion (movies) and so these I must insert imagination vs the right volume.