Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_] Nil[_2_] is offline

Default Strange Experience on my Guitar Yesterday

On 09 May 2016, mcp6453 wrote in rec.audio.pro:

I warned you that I'm not a musician, so I understand that I'm not
doing a good job asking the question. Someone told me once that F#
is the perfect key. Songs played in F# have a special sound. Now,
that's probably crap,

All keys have a "special" sound - that's what makes them distinct
from other keys. But there's nothing any more special about F# than
any other key, except that is somewhat more difficult to play in
that key for some instruments such as piano than in some other keys.
Therefore, the key of F# is less common.

So, yeah, your friend is speaking crap.

but what I'm trying to understand is how the "Venus" chord played
at random at the 7th fret was immediately identifiable when it
wasn't at the 5th or 9th frets. If I had perfect pitch, maybe that
would explain it, but I have little to no pitch.

You have a better sense of pitch than you give yourself credit for.
If you are very familiar with the record, and especially if you've
listened to it recently, the pitches of the melody and harmony are
still in your memory, waiting to be matched with a real-world
example.

And no, I'm not funnin' you. It's a serious question. There must
be something in the physics of rhythmic vibrations at play.

Only in that the sustain characteristics of a strummed guitar change
a bit the farther up the neck you go - generally, the notes on the
shorter strings may be perceived as fading faster and the attack may
seem a little faster and snappier. Maybe your particular guitar
and/or the way you play it emphasizes that effect.