Bob Cain

Default 16 bit vs 24 bit, 44.1khz vs 48 khz <-- please explain

Tommi wrote:

"Jay - atldigi" wrote in message

You have to take it one step at a time and separate the issues. 2
samples is enough to reconstruct the wave plain and simple. Bob Stuart
and Tom Holman have talked about the possibility of better time axis
resolution as it pertains to differences between two or more channels,
not to be confused with time axis resolution meaning a more detailed
representation of the waveform, and we're not just talking about single
sine waves here. These are two different issues.

It may well be that imaging improves with higher smaple rates, unless of
course you dither properly at the lower ones. It's a little known fact
that dither can also have an effect in the time domain. Other things
including filter issues certainly can make higher sample rates sound
better. However, this has nothing to do with the waveform being
reproduced more accurately within the bandwidth of the system (i.e below
Nyquist for the particular sample rate).

I absolutely agree, multichannel imaging is a different matter and that
wasn't the topic here.

Within the Nyquist criterion a signal can be produced with
any arbitary phase or delay until you consider the
quantization of the samples. Then the achievable delays
become quantized as well and wider sample widths will have a
positive effect on the delay/phase resolution (which
controls the imaging resolution.) I don't know for sure but
I rather doubt that the ear is sensitive to the resolution
constraint imposed by even 16 bit samples.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein