Carey Carlan

Default 16 bit vs 24 bit, 44.1khz vs 48 khz <-- please explain

(White Swan) wrote in
om:

Continuing to a 3 bit system: dynamic range is 18 dB. Values are 0dB,
2.25 dB, 4.5 dB, etc. to 18 dB. Wth each additional bit the dynamic
range is increasing, but ALSO the resolution is increasing everywhere
in the system.

Now, my logic may well be flawed, so I'm most interested in finding
out where the flaw is. This is a great way to learn, and i thank
everyone who is teaching me!

Your logic is correct.

May I make one addition? You don't measure how loud you can get. Rather,
you measure how quiet you can get. Your 1-bit 6 dB system can show full
volume and 6 dB down from full volume. Your three bit system handles 0 to
-18 dBFS. 16 bits allow 96 dBFS range and 24 bits go down to -144 dBFS.

No one records such that the lowest signal matches the lower limit of their
gear. Instead, they set levels just below max and get whatever dynamic
range (minimum signal level) the material and the recorder can offer.