Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Full Music 211 tube failure

On Aug 18, 1:56*am, charles rollo charles.rollo.
wrote:
PeterD;915686 Wrote:

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 14:37:21 +0000, charles rollo
wrote:
-

Recently my amps trannies were melted when the 211 failed. With less
than 150 hours on the tube but past the 30 day warrantee.
I bought the tubes in Oct. 2009 from Grant Fidelity. however never
used them until well after the 30 day time frame. -

And that was Grant's fault, how?
-
Which Grant was aware
of. -

So?
-
One tube shorted and took out the output and high voltage trannies.
Costing me $1500 to repair. -

Must have been some quality amp that had no protection for a simple
tube failure.
-
Neither Grant Fidelity nor Full Music will care after the 30 days
expires. -

And you didn't think to buy the lifetime warranted tubes? And you
didn't buy the tubes that offered coverage for colatteral damage?
-
For $500 one would think that the Manf. or north American
distributor would make ammends because of the damage done. Something
fishy going on as the distributor. -

What's fishy?
-
No no and no is the answer from them. -

And no is the answer anyone would give you.
-
Buyer beware. Stay away.-

Why is this 'wrong'? They stated a warranty, you accepted the warranty
terms, and then you feel cheated... Bad logic!

-

charles-

Well, first of all the Opera/Consonance Cyber 211 amp is sold by Grant
Fidelity as a quality amp. There is NO lifetime warranty to be had for
the tubes. Full Music has changed the design now three times, wonder
why. THEY FAIL THATS WHY. So the customer is left holding the bag.
Brilliant !!!
The fact that the tube shorted in less than 30 days and was not
discovered as the culprit until after the 30 days were up is the issue.
Grant helped me get the Trannies from Opera [ great job] but it took
several months to aquire. We could not test the tube until the amp was
repaired.

I had arcing (failing) 845 tubes from TJ and I went to my workshop and
immediately cobbled up a test rig in 2 hours.

But then I have the workshop and skills. Ordinary ppl don't have
either and are at the mercy of the tube makers and amp makers.

Why don't amp makers include reliable protection circuits to prevent
PT and OPT damage?

They don't mind if you sustain amp damage from tubes malfunctioning
because they know you'll be back for more tubes, or a new amp or spare
parts.

The same applies to nearly all common brands of solid state amps which
are the vast majority brought to me for repair needed due to output
transistor failure after the so called protection circuits have not
worked.

There are no amp makers which fit a simple IC based circuit which
detects if a load of less than 2 ohms is connected and then turns off
the amp if there is. Such low loads occur when speakers malfunction or
when owners use speaker leads with short circuits. at least 70% of amp
failures are due to speakers or leads and the amp makers don't feel
responsible for problems not of their own making, and see no reason to
add the extra 50c worth of electronics to protect the amps when lead
or speaker problems lead to failures.

So the time frame was over 30 days with no fault on my end.
If the tube just failed I would just go away. However damage costing
serious money because of a poor product is not my fault.

Opera / Consonance and TJ tubes are both as bad as each other. They
just make amps using slave labour in China and they both don't give a
****ing rat's arse about gullible western nation buyers.

Where is the
customer service ?
My NOS RCA and GE 211s have a minimum of 2000 hours on them with zero
issues. One would expect a new production tube that costs approx $500 /
pair to last more than 150 hours, thats not asking to much is it ?

It is asking a hell of a lot from something made in China.

The Chinese don't appear to have any psychological ability for the
necessary deep self criticism of anything they do.

They don't like being wrong.

However, it is a noble thing to criticise yourself and permanently
think that whatever you make could fail or cause problems unless one
works to avoid such problems. This is maturity.

Its often been said they don't like "Losing Face", ie, they don't like
it when some **** reminds them that their **** really stinks a lot.

I hope the Chinese reading this understand that the man who makes no
mistakes makes nothing.

And its good we have the Internet because we can discuss these things
and whenever someone Googles a search on TJ 211 or Full Music 2121
then they will see this discussion come up.

This helps the buyer to become aware.

How will buyers be aware of possible problems unless we have free
speach?

I am NOT looking for my money back just one tube to replace the failed
one. Grant Fidelity and Full music have abandoned me. That is my issue
lack of customer service. This is a special case. Damage was done.
Serious expensive damage. The least they could do is offer a tube.
Whats fishy is the facts about the amp and tube combination, since
Grant is the distributor of both maybe it was a poor choice for the Oper
amp. I should have been warned or told the a shorted tube may cause
damage. what is also fishy is the Distributor statis as well as the
quality of the tube, again redesigned three times. Why should the
customer bare the issues until Full Music gets it right.
BTW are you affiiated with Grant or full Music, cause it appears that
way to me. I repeat buyer beware, stay away.

**** happens with any product and you can often be caught out when the
combination of poor amp design and poor quality tubes leads to un-
wanted expense.

So, to avoid such excessive transformer replacements in future, what
has been done to the amps to provide active protection when the next
tube decides to conduct too much current?

Patrick Turner.

charles

--
charles rollo- Hide quoted text -