Posted to rec.audio.high-end
fid fid is offline

Default Subwoofer in phase ...with only one speaker

Thank you for your replies and suggestions. Finally I start to
understand something...

They are indeed side-firing woofers -Vienna Acoustics Mahlers. These
woofers work in the range from 70hz all the way down to 22hz.

They are set as full range just like Rel suggests, high level crossed
over at 22Hz just to increase of the last octave.
For what I understand from the manual the speakers and the sub work
simultaneously to reproduce sound from the crossover point down. This
way is preferable to me because the sub is working in both high level
and low level in the same time.
Having one of the speakers in the corner with its woofer facing
outside, it fires directly to the sub and the sidewall. That created a
number of problems as I mentioned before. Now, I reversed the speakers
with the woofers facing each other, and it appears that the two
speakers, measured individually, have a similar (not quite the
same ...but it is an improvement) frequency response.
However, that reversing created another problem with is a decrease of
energy in the range of 80hz. I do have a pair of quality Audiocontrol
mono equalizers that through them I boost that frequency a little. But
the reason I installed these two EQ in the first place was to tame an
enormous peak at 31hz and 40 hz. I lowered the slides of the EQ all
the way to cut down that peak, and still it is a bit more that I would
like, but without the EQ would have been too much.
Obviously I have standing waves bigger than I can handle. If I
increase the sub level even at the lowest crossover setting it will
increase proportionally also those peaks.

I understand that moving the speakers around would change things, but
my living room is cluttered, that's why I need to learn alternatives,
if there are any.
I never thought that this hobby would drain so much energy...

Thanks again for your help.