Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Subwoofer in phase ...with only one speaker

On Nov 12, 6:52 pm, fid wrote:

After I installed a single Rel subwoofer into my system I realized
that it would be in phase with one speaker and not with the other.

What you are writing is that your satellite speakers are out of phase
with each other? Otherwise, how could the SW be out of phase with one-
or-the-other and *not* both?

A couple of questions:

a) Does the SW have an internal crossover such that it does not feed
full-spectrum to the satellites? This would seem pretty obvious, but I
have to ask.
b) Have you tried (temporarily) placing the SW somewhere else and
measuring the results? Perhaps equi-distant and similar attitude
towards both satellites?

You may be getting "cancellation waves" for lack of a better term -
which makes no sense if there is a good crossover in the SW. *IF*
there is a crossover and *IF* it is adjustable, raise the cut-off
frequency to the satellites and see if that does not solve your
problem.

One last problem that is unusual but certainly possible especially in
rooms with hard parallel surfaces. Are you aware of the concept of a
"standing wave"? Try setting your speakers asymetrically about the
room and remeasuring. You may have to try various configurations
before you determine what gives you the best results.

But, keep in mind your initial statement as-written is questionable,
as properly connected speakers will always be in phase with each
other, all things being equal (no deliberate alterations made).

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA