Patrick Turner

Phil Allison wrote:

"Patrick Turner" = asinine, criminal ****wit
Phil Allison

And I maintain that just because some GOSS is wound into a spiral,
the U compared to an interleaved E&I tranny won't necessarily be
10 to 15 times what it is in the E&I lams.

** Two counter examples:

#1.

The I mag @ 240 volts for a 300 VA mains toroidal ( from Harbuch) on the
bench is 11mA rms.

At 120 volts, I mag falls to 1.7 mA, becomes sine wave and has a 12
degree
phase angle.

The load R is effectively 70 kohms.

For this case, L computes to be over 1000 H using: L = R / ( 2.pi.50.
tan 12d )

#2.

The I mag @ 240 volts for a 160 VA mains toroidal ( from Jaycar) on the
bench is 7 mA rms.

At 120 volts, the I mag falls to 1.6 mA, becomes near sine wave and has a
15
degree phase angle.

The load R is effectively 75 kohms.

L computes to be nearly 900 H.

You are quite right with all these calcs

** Now you do the same for E -core tannies of similar ratings - your own
or commercial ones.

Lets compares the I mag and effective L primary figures.

Lets see if the toroidals win by 10 to 15 times.

If we were to compare E&I Lycore 150 which is NOSS,
and max U = about 3,000, then the toroidal tranny has **far lower losses**
and far larger inductance for the same Bmax.

I recall I measured the toroidal from Harbuch, and it measured about
U = 27,000.

The latest GOSS E&I from Sankey gives me 17,000.

I don't see how a toroid of the same material could
have a max U = 255,000, which is your 15 times better.

You haven't done the calcs to tell us the Bmax and the U
for your sample toroidals.

I might have done some calcs for you but you haven't told us the details of the
tranny.
We need Np, Afe, Lp, ML, and we might be able to get U.

For Bmax we need V, F, Np, Afe.

Np is easy to find with a toroid.
Wind 10 turns onto the toroid and apply
240v to the primary meant for 240v, with no load.
Then measure the voltage across the 10 turns.
Say you get 3.0 v.
TPV = 10 / 3.0 = 3.33.

Therefore Np = 240 x 3.33 = 800 turns.
If you cannot measure the AFe of the core because its covered in layers of wire,

then estimate it, based on what you think the dimensions are.
Your measurements should be within 10%.

I repeat my question, What is the U of the material
at 240v and 120v input to the the samples you tested?

If you want to convince us any old toroid has 15 times the inductance
for an E&I tranny using the same material and with the same Bmax, you better get
on and do it,
rather than wasting your time time including personal insults in your posts.

Your insults don't waste my time because there is little point replying to
insults,
but I have to say I thought you were so very inconsistent recently when you
instructed me to
get bowel cancer and die, but then you lecture Pinkerton about what you say
are his Nazi tendencies.

Patrick Turner.