Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default Sony CDP-C705 5 Disc Carousel Misbehavior

On 3/05/2014 1:23 AM, wrote:
Sony CDP-C705 5 Disc Carousel Misbehavior

Bought it a few months ago for a song - literally - at a thrift shop.

Exhibits the following, occasionally:

A - On a single CD, freezes and/or skips, particularly on higher tracks toward end of album. Kinda like pressing fast fwd/backwd.

B - On multiple CDs, freezes and/or skips. In shuffle mode, sometimes can't 'find' another disc to shuffle to.

In both circumstances, will occasionally just stop playing disc entirely, sometimes midway through a song.

Steps I've taken so far:

1. Made sure any CD I put in there is mint clean.

2. Used a brush-style CD player lens cleaner disc according to lens cleaner instructions.

Both steps have reduced behaviors in A & B, but not elminated them.

What else can I do to eliminate these problems, even under hood?

Also: Are these symptoms of read-head laser alignment, or of logic control?

**Clean the lens. A brush style lens cleaner is almost, but not quite,
useless. Lift the lid and do the job properly. If that fails, replace
the laser. ALL symptoms listed suggest weak laser power.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au