Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default Analog vs Digital- Again

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:01:16 -0800, willbill wrote
(in article ):

Arny Krueger wrote:

Ah, the shoe is on the other foot. Do you want to comment on the scientice
behind this article:

Wired Magazine article: http://301url.com/dbk

nice ref, thanks.

the title ("Vinyl May Be Final Nail
in CD's Coffin") is also very amusing

and afaik, the end of the 1st paragraph
is also very inaccurate: vinyl is NOT
re-entering the mainstream

No. it is not. But it is still popular enough for places like Music Direct to
still sell it, and in my neck of the woods there is a High-End audio store
dedicated, exclusively to vinyl called "The Analog Room". They do quite
well.

i remember when the CD came out

the sound was terrible, but most
were beyond thrilled that ticks
and pops were gone

Yes. It was portable, did not degrade with each play, remained quiet and
wasn't nearly so fragile as records. These characteristics alone were pretty
much enough to insure its success with most consumers.

shows you just how much most people
don't care about quality sound

I doubt if the mainstream consumer cared anything more about sound quality
then than they do now. And given the popularity of MP3, I'd say that interest
is pretty close to zero.

i can add that current CDs have improved
immensely, and that i hope that they don't
disappear anytime soon

I don't think that they are much danger of going away anytime soon. People
like to browse for music, read liner notes, and collect things. All of these
are things that internet-provided music doesn't allow for as easily or as
well as does the CD. And I agree that CD has improved immensely. If anything
ever kills SACD it would be that even hardened "golden-eared audiophiles"
begin to find it more and more difficult to tell a well made Redbook CD from
an SACD.