Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] elmir2m@shaw.ca is offline

Default Better Than ABX?

Sander deWaal wrote:
Bill Riel said:

I only listen to music, for which stereo is enough in my case.
I don't need weird, artificial reflections from the rear and a booming
sub to go with it.

Hi Sander,

I'd never be critical of anyone's preferences, and I do tend to do
almost all of my listening in 2 channel as well. However, I have heard
some music in 5.1 that was very impressive - usually the best will be
classical music and the surrounds simply provide hall ambience and can
be a tremendously immersive experience.

I'm sure it is possible, I just said it isn't my thing.
That's why I always use disclaimers like "IMO", "in my case" etc. etc.

I've heard some nice jazz that way, too, though I hate it when
instruments get mixed to the surrounds.

If properly set up, subs shouldn't "boom" (well, perhaps except in
movies). But, imo, it's actually non-trivial to position and "dial-in" a
sub properly so it blends seamlessly. When it does, you shouldn't even
know that it's on - you just get tremendous, clean bass extension.

That is also possible, but seldom the case.
I'm a dipole user, and integrating a sub with dipoles can be quite
frustrating IMO.

With films, it mostly is unnatural, unnerving and sometimes outright
ridiculous.
James Bond shutting the door of a car, and 3 houses further, the
pictures start falling from the wall.

Anyway, I'm not trying to lecture you - I know you've forgotten more
about audio than I'll ever know, but 5.1 can be a pretty amazing
experience with the right source & setup imo.

Dunno if I know as much about audio as you seem to think I do (or that
it even matters), I'm just saying that stereo is enough for me, for
music.

I'm reacting strongly to people who seem to think there's only one
possible way of doing things right, and that the only right way is
always *their* way.

I try to offer alternate views, but don't shove them in your face with
a.....well, a shovel ;-)

This place is called rec.audio.OPINION, everyone's 2 cents worth about
audio.

Please, read my posts in that context.
I'll try to be more clear about presenting my views as opinions, not
as gospel, in the future.
--
- Ever seen someone with 5.1 ears? So, what does that tell you? -

I agree with you about the average movie house sound these days. It is
too loud most of the time, and the surround effect is too often between
ridiculous and disturbing. .

Having said that I go back to my JVC XP 1000 (no longer made) to get an
illusion closer to a real symphony orchestra than I get from stereo.
Ludovic Mirabel