Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Questions

On 31/01/2015 11:19 a.m., JackA wrote:

Most groups haven't a clue what they want to record, so track by
track recording is sometimes a dream. I feel it would be difficult to
build a song track-by-track. Tom Dowd (engineer - RIP) wanted "live"
recordings while less professionals, like Al Kooper didn't care about
overdubbing. You heard of The Knack, I'm sure. Their leader (RIP)
wanted to sounds as good live as in the studio, so he/they kept any
overdubbing to a minimum! PLUS, early on, many real times recordings
cost a fortune, getting everything correct from singing to sound
recording more or less forced the industry to overdub! This stereo
separation problem sounds like an afterthought!!

You also don't appear to understand the difference between overdubbing
and muli-tracking.

geoff