Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Questions

JackA wrote:
On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 11:56:29 AM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
JackA wrote:
Scott, thanks for the clip (sounds okay), but that is FAR from what mutilat=
ion exists on Ringo's drum tracks! You claim use some comb filter (weren't =
comb filters used with VCR technology!!??)

NO!
The clip I gave is ONLY an example so you can understand how much leakage
can be in typical tracks.

Are you talking crosstalk of tape tracks??

NO! I am talking about acoustic leakage.

The clip does NOT sound okay, it has extreme leakage.

- Find a better recording engineer, I say.

Sigh. You don't get it, do you? I use this track as an example of the
sort of leakage that is typical when a band records as an ensemble.

IF that leakage is combined with the drum overhead, the end result will be
comb filtering.

The comb filter is not a "thing you use," it is an inadvertent side effect
caused by summing two channels with the same signal displaced in time.

-- Okay, but that is not what happened with Ringo's drum tracks.

Stop right now and read that sentence again. Read it several times if you
have to.

-- Why, for the life of me, can't agree with me that someone obliterated Ringo's drumming and THAT is why decent stereo mixes will never be?!

Because in order to make decent stereo mixes, you need to start out with
tracks that are made to be mixed to stereo.