Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default Questions

On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 9:56:15 AM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
JackA wrote:

Scott wrote, "No, I don't like people who come into newsgroups and are deli=
berately insulting", but, yet, I see foul language used, and then I'M accus=
ed of being a sock-puppet. A warm and fuzzy welcome. I value anyone's input=
, but Scott's lame answer with Ringo's obliterated drumming, just proved ne=
wbies are not welcome and valid answers are seldom offered. I valued KMA's =
waveform of a John Cougar song. I'm guessing he is considered a "troll" her=
e, because of his beliefs.

Did you listen to my answer about comb filtering on drumming?

Let me explain this to you again: when a band is tracked together, one
instrument may appear in multiple microphones. Because the distances between
the instrument the various microphones are different, the signals will appear
at different times in each channel.

Here is a vocal track from a band that is tracking together. This is a
very tight pattern Neumann KMS105 vocal mike positioned to reduce leakage
as much as possible, but still, there is extreme leakage because the band
is very loud:

http://www.panix.com/~kludge/kate.mp3

This is not a mix, this is JUST the vocal microphone. And you can hear an
awful lot of drums in that vocal feed.

Now, when you bring this channel up along with the drum overhead, there is
destructive interference between them, which causes comb filtering and that
is where the hollow sound on the drum comes from.

This is just how life is. You can retrack the vocals in isolation (which was
usually not possible in the early Beatles era since there were few tracks).
You can time-align everything to reduce the filtering (which was not possible
until the 1980s with the coming of digital delays). Or you can move mikes
around so that the effect is not audible or offensive in the mix.

But if you THEN change the mix, it will change the audibility of the comb
filtering. That is, the tracks were laid down with a particular mix in
mind, and attempts to do other things with them may not be successful.

This is kindergarten stuff, here. You might want to purchase a good
introduction to audio production or maybe read the charter for this group..
Because this group does not exist for people to explain things to you.

Scott, thanks for the clip (sounds okay), but that is FAR from what mutilation exists on Ringo's drum tracks! You claim use some comb filter (weren't comb filters used with VCR technology!!??) With Ringo's obliterated drumming, don't think a cast-iron rake, or even a backhoe would help it!! I'm not here to ask for help, just decent input. I mean, you claim you're not here to help, but someone applauded a 5 year old (bad transformer) thread and how many helped and it was still going!!!

Jack