Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default What you buy to listen to music on....

On 2/09/2014 7:42 a.m., Frank Stearns wrote:

Underlying all of this is musical aesthetics (or a lack thereof). I've really seen
this contrasted in the new area where I've moved -- it's 70%+ LDS (Mormon).

I've gained an entirely new respect for these folks because music is so interwoven
with their culture. I've worked with several of the high school and college kids
here and they always surprise me in their musicallity. Most seem to understand tempo
and pitch, so much so that they can then deliver good, engaging performances. It's
been a breath of fresh air in that regard.

Music here is almost as woven into the daily cultural fabric as it is in Europe.
Makes a difference all the way around, in my estimation -- what you listen to and
how you listen to it.

Pity it has to be linked to a rather whacky take on a fairy-story rather
than something rational.

However the musicality of pretty much all the Pacifica people I deal
with is fantastic, and though usually with religious overtones as well
as general culture, still better than nothing.

I do find it galling when I deliver gear to my local mormons, who are
mostly Pacifica people, and see pictures of a european hippy on the walls.

geoff