Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Searching for a Term

Yes Stephen - that just might be what I am looking for! I will explore these
on Amazon and see what they are.

Gary Eickmeier

Stephen McElroy wrote:
In article ,
"Gary Eickmeier" wrote:

Scott wrote:
On Friday, June 7, 2013 8:10:45 PM UTC-7, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
There are potentially many of the oldest recordings that are
treasures for the music, but I also love great sound quality. So I
wish to search Amazon for modern recordings that are re-staged and
re-recorded classic arrangments. But I don't know how to ask it -
what terms to use for modern versions of old arrangements.

Anyone?

I have no idea what you are trying to look for here. What do you
mean by "re-staged" or "rerecorded?" Are you looking for things like
Stokowsky's reworking of Ravel's arrangement of Pictures at an
Exhibition? Transcriptions of Shubert songs by Listz? Are you just
looking for newer recordings of the old warhorses of the classic
repertoire?

See what I mean? Hard to find an exact term for it, especially for a
Google or Amazon search term.

Remake.

Suppose you have a 78 of a Fletcher Henderson jazz number, or maybe
the classic Benny Goodman Ebony Concerto. What I want is a fresh
recording copying the instrumentation, style, and arrangements of
these fascinating classics, recorded anew as if they had our
equipment in 1923. I have one such attempt by Simon Rattle, doing
some old arrangements, and it is fascinating. I also think more
interesting than modern arrangements. Bands used to have a certain
style, like you could tell a Marty Paich from a Basie or a Russ
Elgart or anything else. They had a certain instrumentation and
bounce and rhythm that was unique.

To accomplish this, the musicians would have to study the old
recordings and try to identify the instrumentation, then write the
arrangements to match. It may be mostly guesswork, but I'm sure they
could come close. Maybe no one else thinks this would sell, but if
they have done it I would like to know how to find it.

Here you go:

http://www.bsnpubs.com/warner/time-l...lifestory.html

In the early 1970s, again appealing to the adults, was a series of
recreations of music from the 1930s and 1940s called The Swing Era.
This series was also pressed by Capitol Records, and many of the
recreations were done by Billy May or other Capitol bandleaders.
Although one may cavil that the music on this series was not the
original versions, by 1972 most people had become accustomed to high
quality music. The originals, mostly recorded with direct-to-disc
technology and fidelity limitations, would have been inconsistent
with the expectations of the public. Since the originals were mainly
orchestral arrangements, they could be reproduced fairly well,
especially for people who hadn't heard the originals for almost 30
years. Judging by the plethora of volumes of this series that can now
be found in used book stores, the series sold quite well. Each set
came with a hardcover book telling about the music and the era.

End quote.

Stephen