Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Stewart

Default Ping: John Byrnes

John Stewart wrote:

I take from your comments that you would like to run the E182CC at 35 ma
plate current, each side. Max plate dissipation is 4 watts per side.
That results in a max plate voltage of 114 volts.

Looking at the plate family of curves I estimate by eyeball Rp to be
about 2.5K. Calculation at the spec sheet operating point of mu equal to
24 & G being 15 ma/v gives Rp to be 1.6K. But of real concern is the
very short grid base at these conditions while Eb is 114 volts & grid
bias is -ve 2 volts to set that Q point!

In a general sense, the higher the mu of a triode while used as a power
amp then the supply volts needs to be increased in order to develop any
reasonable output power. By eyeball I would think you would need to run
a plate supply of something like 150-160 volts & increase the grid bias
so that Pd of 4 watts is not exceeded.

In any case, it looks like the resulting Rp would be about 3K. In a PP
amp the source then becomes 6K, working into whatever OPT you select.

The 15K/135K interstage transformer I referred to as used by Lloyd
Peppard is a Hammond 124E, the same as you had referred to. Not sure if
you had the Hammond in mind. I have one here that I use now & then in
experimental circuits. But others make something similar, I guess.

When I referred to boutique parts I had in mind your reference to the
HA-106 at $360.00. Fairly obvious to anyone, Hammond is anything but
boutique.

Cheers, John Stewart