Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

Default Monster RCA cables vs. regular RCA cables for analog devices

Mannr wrote ...
Does anyone ever cut/dissassemble these cables? I have. Many,
if not most of the cheap cables are not shielded at all! By shielded
I mean there is an insulated inner wire and an outer stipped wire,
braided or twisted around it.

What I'd like to know if is there is a way to test this, without cutting
the cable.

X-ray?

I've cut into the cheap cables I've gotten from All Electronics and
while they are "wrapped" shield (i.e. not "braided"), they are full
(95%) coverage.

I have seen some like you refer to which have the "shield" spiral-
wrapped around the inner conductor insulation. Lucky if it was
even 10% coverage.