Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

Default Monster RCA cables vs. regular RCA cables for analog devices

wrote ...
Let me make the point that for audio and even digital you do NOT want
"cable guy" coax with the solid center conductor. That is designed for
RF and will often be VERY microphonic on audio,

I've never found that to be the case. I've used a dozen
different kinds of solid center-conductor coax, with
solid and foam dielectric, and braided and/or foil
shield, and they all worked quite nicely. Maybe I
just lead a charmed life?

Of course mechanical properties might be an issue.
You wouldn't want to use something stiff and with
foil insulation for an application that needs flexibility
or constant movement.

plus as others noted the shield is typically aluminum foil.

Not clear why that is an issue, either?

What you really want is cable designed to connect VCRs. These come in
straight video or triple ones like three coax wires glued together
with
one Video and two audio lines. Get 'em cheap at your local Radio Shack
store! I got a huge box for next to free at a Radio Shack "tent sale"
and have been using them ever since. Even got gold plated RCA ends on
them. Much more flexible than any solid core wire and designed to do
the job. Well made and best of all, a fraction of the "monster" price.

Agreed. But my local Radio Shack stores seem to have only the
thick "premium" cable in stock (likely because they make more
profit on it).

Last time I needed a bunch of cables, I got them from my favorite
surplus discount online store...
Audio:
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...940&type=store
Video: