Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Default Monster RCA cables vs. regular RCA cables for analog devices

Leonid Makarovsky wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
: I need a lot of them and I don't want to waste $$$ where it's not worth it.

: To do what?

L/R RCA cables to connect LD player (for analog soundtracks), CD player, tape
deck (in/out), and VCR to a receiver.
Then I will need 5 3.5 jack to RCA cables to connect my 7.1 soundcard to the
receiver.
Also a few digital coaxial (DVD player and one of the soundcards), optical
tosslink (another soundcard and LD player).
And a cable to connect a sub-woofer to a receiver.

So you're talking about one installation, or hundreds of installations? If
you only need a dozen cables or so, just call Markertek and get whatever
cables they have this week with spring-loaded RCAs. The spring loading is
a big deal because it compensates for the fact that there are no standard
dimensions for the RCA connector so no two manufacturers products quite
fit together.

For the digital coaxial cables, buy some coaxial cable. Again, with the
spring-loaded ends.

If you want to make your own, the Canare spring-loaded RCAs are something
like $3 each. If that's too much (and if you are doing hundreds of installs
every penny counts), Waldom actually makes a decent RCA connector that is
intended for coaxial cable, and has reasonable design (if somewhat cheesy
gold flashing that will wear off in short order) for a buck or so onsie-twosie
and less than a quarter if you buy 500.