Posted to rec.audio.pro
John O

Default Monster RCA cables vs. regular RCA cables for analog devices

Good quality cable TV coax (RG59,etc) is not expensive.

Also not appropriate for audio or baseband video use because of the
aluminum
shield design; you can't solder to the stuff. This means you can't attach
solder-type BNC or RCA connectors.

If I were to recommend a style of connector for someone fairly new at this,
there wouldn't be any (or at least, very little) soldering involved. With
BNC, I've used crimped connectors for many years, and they're absolutely
reliable. BUT...the parts have to match, including the crimp tool.

The issue I have with soldering is that it's a lot harder to do it well, and
still not melt everything together. Solder wicks up into the braid very
quickly, and the heat melts some dielectrics, and all that. Soldering is
great, but in my mind it has more issues.

Making RCA cables is always a PITA, no matter what. :-)

Note that there are a lot of different cable designs all called RG59,
all with different shields, center conductors, and dielectric. They
only share dimensions and characteristic impedance, because that is
all the Radio Guide specified for that cable.

The stuff the cable TV guys use is really godawful. Spend an extra
penny or two a foot and get copper braid shields.

....but it's perfect if you're crimping.

-John O