Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Oversampling converters vs. high SRs

In article ,
nickbatz wrote:
Hey, why (if true) does oversampling not accomplish the same thing as using a SR high enough to keep the brick wall filter ringing out of the audible spectrum?

It saves storage space. Why sample at some crazy high rate and store a lot
of data when you can just downsample it for storage and lose only bandwidth
you don't need?

Of course, nobody really uses oversampling any more, now that we live in the
age of sigma-delta converters. Unless you think of the sigma-delta method
as sort of the extreme end of oversampling.

I haven't seen a brick wall filter in more than twenty years now.