Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default 12" passive radiator replacement?

On 1/4/2020 9:21 PM, nickbatz wrote:
Assuming it's worth fixing them - if only to trade someone for something else - is it likely to make any serious difference what round 12" cone-shaped thing I put back there? Serious = commensurate with the quality of these speakers.

A passive radiator is just a driver without the motor. When you get an
"edge kit" you leave the original cone in place, so you don't have to
worry about matching the cone mass and stiffness, they thing that should
match the original is the stiffness of the suspension.

I have some Advent speakers that had foam rot. I'd never worked on a
speaker before so I was hesitant to operate on them, but figured that
for ten bucks or so I'd give it a try. It worked out just fine. The
hardest part is to get all the the old glue off the frame where the
suspension is attached.

I got my kit from Simply Speakers. Their web site gave me enough
confidence that I could do the job, and they were helpful with some
pre-purchase questions. You might take a look and see if they already
know what you need and can supply it.

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/ of course.