Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default cassette conversion

Nil wrote:
On 03 Jun 2018, (Scott Dorsey) wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

Playing cassettes cleanly is actually a bit of a pain in the neck,
due to azimuth stability problems. You can buy a Nak Dragon and
spend a lot of money, but it'll let you be able to do unattended
transfers without having to worry about azimuth error. (You'll
still have to worry about getting Dolby levels right, though).
For less money you can get a Tascam 122, spend some money to get
new belts on it and add an extender to make the azimuth screw more
accessible.

What is this "extender" of which you speak? I have a Tascam 302, which
I guess is more-or-less a double-well version of the 122. I adjust the
azimuth with a small screwdriver, but a tape in there it's difficult to
see to find the screw.

Little piece of stainless steel that replaces the screw and gives you a
little knurled knob that you can turn. It doesn't wear out after a short
while the way the original screw threads will wear out if you constantly
change the setting.

Tape Warehouse used to sell them for the 122 back in the eighties, I am
sure there are plenty out there.