Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default How to perfectly clean wires in minutes

On 7/16/2017 4:16 PM, mcp6453 wrote:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...es-in-minutes/
I have a lot of old male XLR connectors with dirty pins that I'd like to clean.

If it works at all, it's probably fine for solid wire - off a spool or
a pre-cut piece, but unless you un-twist stranded wire and treat it like
a bundle of solid wires, I wouldn't trust that you would get all of the
acid neutralized. And also, it would be a good idea to not dip an
insulated wire into the juice up to the insulation. You don't want any
of the acid to wick up into the insulation and not get neutralized.
Also, I would wash off the baking soda solution with plain water.

As far as XLR connector pins, I suppose if you took the shell out of the
insert and dipped the male pins into the juice about 3/4 of the way up,
it would be OK as long as you were careful with clean-up. I wouldn't
trust it with female pins (is that a misnomer?) thought. You probably
couldn't clean them up thoroughly without at least a syringe to squirt
water up into the pins, and compressed air and a warm air blower to dry
them thoroughly.