Posted to rec.audio.tubes
HpW-Works HpW-Works is offline

Default Difference between Genalex KT88 and Genalex Gold Lion KT88 ?

Am 06.12.2013 13:57, schrieb :
I have a quad set of original KT 88 golden lions in my two layfette mono block power Amps. I recently purchase the newer KT 88's and there is no comparison. The originals are better in every respect. Greater frequency ranges, louder much more high end and more musical treble. The reissues are harsher sounding
Marcus

Welcome to the club!

Thats the reason that some (a friend of) simple pais a hugh price for
the oldies (about 2000$).

I had to replace 2 * quad's of my Elektro Harmonic's on the Cary SL-100
monoblocks.

I purchased some the Russions a while ago (Gold Lion), one produced a
short between grid and kathode after some minutes and the sound is
unpleased.... dark and not opened as using the Harmonic's.

It may also depend on the other used driver tubes (in my case RCA 6SN7).

The painis, you have to provide a certain amount money until and say
this brand is ^....

Hp