Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

Default digitalizing vinyl records

"geoff" wrote in message
Serge Auckland wrote:

Any sound card that clips hard at 0dBFS is, in my view, broken. 0dBFS
should be passed totally clean, given that so many CDs now are
mastered right up to 0dBFS, playing one of these CDs through the
sound card will make an already poor CD sound worse, so no, in my
real world, Digital stuff is totally good to 0dBFS, not just to -1dB
(or even -0.1dBFS). My now 10 year old Digigram card is, so why is
modern stuff worse?

Um, how can you possibly ever go over 0dBFS ? Do some homework as
understand just how silly that makes you look !

geoff

Firstly, YOU do your homework, the ANALOGUE output can go over the 0dBFS
level under certain circumstances. Look up Jim Lesurf's work on the subject.

Secondly, the ANALOGUE output has to be totally clean when playing a 0dBFS
DIGITAL signal, not just one that goes to -1dBFS or even -0.1dBFS.

Amateurs....shees.....

S.
--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com