Posted to rec.audio.pro
Michael Beacom[_4_] Michael Beacom[_4_] is offline

Default Zoom H4n Replacement

On 2019-09-04 10:54:26 +0000, Mike Rivers said:

On 9/3/2019 11:46 PM, Michael Beacom wrote: My Zoom H4n died, Im
looking for a roughly equivalent replacement.

If I were king, it would be a Sound Devices MixPre-10 II. Sadly, I'm
not, and the Mix-Pre crushes the budget.

I'm still happy with my TASCAM DR-44WL. Three things that I
particularly like, other than it sounds good and doesn't crash:

Hi, Mike -

- A mechanical record level knob, well, it's digital inside, but it's a
knob you can turn, and it's engaged and disengaged with a button, so
you won't bump it and change your record level.

- A limiter you can actually use without hearing it, good for when you
don't know how loud something is going to be before you start recording.

- Wireless remote control with a phone or tablet via WiFi - you can
start, stop, watch the meters, adjust record level, pretty near
everything you can do with the front panel, some things more convenient.

My review (it's had a couple of firmware updates since then) is he

https://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpr...4wl_review.pdf

Thanks for the tip-
Scott was good enough to mention the Tascam DR-680 MKII, It's a good
suggestion, and now I have to decide how much I value the size of the
recorder.
I was originally thinking about the Zoom H5 or H6. Any opinions between
Tascam & Zoom?

B&H and Swee****er list the TASCAM DR-44WL as 'Discontinued'. Has
Tascam discontinued it, or are they introducing a new model?

Thanks again,
Mike