Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Syncing audio and video for casual production

(Scott Dorsey) wrote:
In article , Tobiah wrote:
Here is my take after a brief Google search:

1) Provide a great audio signal to the camera
via it's *not stellar* audio input. Great.
No syncing issues, but you can't monitor the
input level on the probably lame onboard preamps.

The real problem is that you can't turn off the AVC on most cameras.

2) Do some 1930's stuff and use a slate board and worry
about the sync later. Nope. I don't have that much time.

This is not bad at all, really. It might mean having someone clap their
hands on stage in front of a mike at the beginning and end of each set,
but it's really very workable.

3) Use timecode. Now, I have a Tascam HD-P2 with timecode.
Would it cost an arm and a leg to get a camera with timecode?

Yes.

It's a shame the Fostex VF16 ( audio recorder ) went out of production.

It would chase timecode quite well. You could stripe MTC onto the camera
audio and have the recorder chase it. This of course assumes
you can get the levels and stuff set on the camera.

Other than all this, how are casual internet users generating
video with great audio (if there are there any). I could post just
audio of my performance, but I'm now starting to get interested in the
video part of internet content sharing.

If they are smart they are using the best and easiest method:

4) Record double system sound with a digital recorder but ALSO record
ambient sound using the on-camera mike on the video recorder. Use
the on-camera mike as a guide track to synch up the good quality
audio track.

Les Cargill