Jon Noring

t.hoehler wrote:
someone else wrote (attributes lost):

I have to agree with the sentiments here about collectables, but
one reason I don't bother collecting many AM radios is their poor
sound, and to improve them, you have to modify them, and I do just
that if there is no other way to repair them, and if an owner is
happy about it. Hopefully they'll run well for another 50 years,
and the next repairist will have to make similar decisions I have.

Which leads me to the question, will there be any AM stations to
listen to in fifty years? And, after reading and looking over
Randy's excellent story about the 5 KW AM transmitter, I wonder,
will all postings like his just be a memory in fifty years? If so,
the future generation will be missing out on a great deal of old,
but really cool technology.

Good question. It's hard to say where the MW BCB band will be in 50
years. Will there still be commercial stations? Will they broadcast
in digital rather than AM?

My son is very interested in getting the SSTRAN AM transmitter and
transmit music and alternative programming he is now broadcasting on
the Internet. He'd simply have an audio out of his server's sound
card to go to the transmitter. Maybe in 50 years the band will be
covered by more low-power broadcasting like what my son is interested
in? (he's intrigued with setting up transmitters every mile in the
neighborhood.) Who knows...

Jon