View Single Post
  #4   Report Post  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stebbeds
Found this in the LA Times today. Anyone know this guy?

I posted the text as well as the link.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,2174231.story

Mark

Recordings Are Seized at Engineer's Home

snip happens

"These are recordings that he contractually and logically had every
right to have in his possession," Crom said. A recording engineer, he
said, often works at home.

Los Angeles Police Det. Donald O. Hrycyk said the boxes of recordings
carted out of Howard's home — which consisted of a bed, refrigerator
and other amenities in a commercial property in a recording industry
district —

snip happens

"When we got there, he wouldn't come to the door, but when we pried it
open, he came out," the detective said.

In talking with some friends... it seems that someone at RCE kinda jumped the gun on this for at the moment an unknown reason. Turns out that there was well over a 20 year relationship between artist and recordist, that there was a reason for this 20+ year relationship [like Mr. Howard is an EXCELLENT engineer kind of a reason]... and there was less than no intent to steal anything from anyone when it came to these masters... or at least that's the word on the street in LA with people that know the other side of this debacle.

Apparently the subject of this article did indeed live in his studio, hence the bed, refrigerator and "other amenities" [like a shower?]... the studio, not being your average piece of **** home studio, was "soundproof" [hence why he didn't answer the door but came out after they "pried it open"].

While the original article was obviously skewed by some publicist for the person or persons who were pulling the strings from RCE, the fact of the matter is that anyone who works on any "real" product should be very worried right about now... imagine you happen to have some masters from something you were working on... and all of a sudden the Gestapo is kicking in the door?

I know I have "masters" at my house, as well as at my office... many of these masters are indeed owned by record companies who didn't want to store them/"outtake reels" at the end of the project, and the studio didn't want to store them at the end of the project... so in many cases, I got stuck with them.

Some of these masters have the work of dead people on them... after this bullsh*t I'm going to figure out how to send them back to the labels/artists/anyone in the fukking world but me!!!

Roscoe Ambel once said:
Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light