Ban

MylesJ wrote:
Thick cables don't mean anything. Some of the high end foil cables are
minimal. Some of the very expensive Nordost cables don't fall in the
thick category. I've built several I/C cable designs and I find that
I prefer the ones with a single 33 gauge wire for the hot pin to the
various thicker cables I have bought and made, as long as they are
not too long. If I have to go more than a few feet, then a single 24
gauge sounds better to me than stranded cables unless you go into the
Litz cables. These are small gauge stranded cables with the
individual strands insulated. If you don't have any RF problems, some
of the inexpensive skinny cables with very little metal in the RCA
connectors sound pretty good.

Myles

They sound all the same, Litz or not is not important for Audio frequencies.
They will not solve any "RF-problems" whatever that might be. 33 or 24 or
even thicker has no impact at all with normal length of 6 feet or less. Most
of the things you mention will apply to satellite dish RF-cables but are
completely irrelevant for audio frequencies.
Another matter is the interior cabling in turntables, especially to moving
coil pickups. Here a good shielding, flexibility and solderability are of
importance together with defined capacitance. The same might apply to guitar
cables, which usually are of substancial length.
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy