Scott Gardner

Default Physics of bridging an amplifier - was: Damping Material Question

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 03:27:53 GMT, (gregs)
wrote:

In article , Eddie Runner wrote:

Don Hills wrote:

In article ,
Eddie Runner wrote:

Please notice that thanks to my persistance it is now
VERY RARE to find someone saying that bridging
halves the resistance....

Ah, but that doesn't mean you're right. just kidding

a few years back everyone said bridging halves speakers
impedance.. it was on tech websites, manufacturers web sites,
(some of my best argueing was with some of the JL techs) and
even in amp install manuals.... Thanks to my persistance none
of that is there anymore, folks have learned the truth... Damn
I am good.... ;-)

Aw but you rarely hear what bridging really does.It
doubles the voltage!

greg

True, and I've always wondered why it's not explained that way more
often in the first place. I used to see that "halving the impedance"
crap all the time too, when the correct explanation is so much simpler
- you double the voltage swing, which quadruples the output power.
(Obviously, the *total* power only doubles, since you're going from
two channels to only one when you bridge the amp.)

Liz - I'm saddened to hear that the JL techs were arguing with you
about how amp bridging works. I can understand it if the marketing
types were confused, and maybe even the manual writers, but the techs
and engineers should know better. How hard is it to understand that
power equals voltage squared divided by impedance?

Scott Gardner