thelizman

Default Damping Material Question

Ron wrote:
I always thought the purpose for damping material was to keep sound
waves from bouncing off of the back/sides of the enclosure and back into
the driver causing distortion.

What is the deal with using damping material to fool the enclosure into
thinking it is bigger? If you add something to a box, doesn't it make it
smaller? LOL

The idea is that the thermal insulation aspect of "stuffing" (usually
polyfill, though fiberglass insulation has been used in some home
speakers I've seen - not hot on the idea of glass fibers being propelled
into my atmosphere) absorbs some of the acoustic output of the speaker
in the same way the air in a larger enclosure would.

In theory, it ads 15-25%. In actual practice...well...you can make up
your own mind, but I've never measured any actual noticable change that
couldn't also be accounted for by other factors.

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

Before you ask a question, check the FAQs for this newsgroup at
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq. It contains over a decade and
a half of knowledge.

teamROCS Car Audio Forums http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than usenet without the express written permission of the author
is forbidden.