Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default Want to design a 3-way speaker with "extreeeem" excursion

On Oct 30, 7:15*pm, UnsteadyKen wrote:
Dick Pierce said...

Snipped the most excellent work.

Hardly "infinite",
hardly "thereabout infinite", and, indeed, not even in
the same zip code.

Thanks Dick that was most informative and your point is well taken by
this bear of little brain. In future I shall use "quite large"

One small question. Would it take a similar amount of power to halt the
driver as it approaches the end of travel ready for the return journey?
It seems to me that more would be required as we now have the mass of
the driver plus the velocity imparted by the acceleration?
Or have I misunderstood how amplifiers control the drivers?
Which is very likely so.

--
Ken O'Mearahttp://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/

In general terms, I guess that has to do with both the dampening
characteristics of the speaker material itself, and the
dampening(electrical) function of the amp.

The latter would have to be explained in kindergarten terms for me, at
least. Dick Pierce?

-CC