Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default replacing mic cables with radio mics

wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
=================

Your recommendations would be valued.

1. The Lectrosonics system is far and above anything else available.

2. The fidelity of the Lectrosonics system is not acceptable for classical
recording.

** ROTFL !!!

That remark was *not* expected....

Care to elaborate a little please ??

If I can tell the difference between the input and the output, I don't
want it in my signal chain. This is an environment where even tiny
differences in sound become evident, in part because there are few mikes
so even a low level spot mike makes a considerable contribution to the
overall sound, and in part because we have a reference point to judge
the recording against. If it doesn't sound like a real orchestra in a
real room, it's no good.

The Lectrosonics is amazingly better than the wireless systems
of the past, but it's not anywhere near as good as a cable.

There have been a couple interesting attempts at high end digital
wireless systems that sacrifice low latency for sound quality (which is
a reasonable compromise for film sound even if not for PA). None
of them have succeeded in the market, though. Most of the existing
digital systems use Apt-X compression for lowest latency.