Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default replacing mic cables with radio mics

On 01/05/2021 01:31, Mike Clayton wrote:
I'm contemplating buying a pair of radio mic circuits to replace cable
runs on remote jobs. Hopefully I can get transmitters that plug directly
into the XLR sockets in the back of the microphones. Most of my material
is small and moderate size group classical.

Your recommendations would be valued.

As Mike Rivers says, there is a lot more to it than just plugging in.

Analogue radio mics have a reduced dynamic range, and often use a
companding system to improve the signal to noise ration in the radio
link that may cause problems for your use.

If you are using the mics to drive a live sound reinforcement system or
a monitor mix for the conductor, digital systems will have an
unavoidable delay in the ADC/ DAC chain, as well as more delays if they
use data compression to improve the bandwidth available.

It can be done but needs care and thought, as well as experimentation
with a few different types.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.