Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Howard Stone Howard Stone is offline

Default Radford STA25 Mk 3 modifiactions

Someone is offering me one of these for a good price. HOWEVER a Radford expert says that it has been modified

1. It appears to be using HT capacitors in series with balancing resistors (probably to make up the voltage rating as the original needs 500V caps).

2. Someone has made brackets to mount the extra two capacitors on top the output transformers.

3. The caps have been changed on the main boards too though judging by their appearance they look like 80s vintage caps (as do the replaced main smoothing caps)

4. The cap for the mains voltage selector is missing, presumably the tap has been selected via a solder link somewhere within the amp.

I'm sure the amp works but what I don't know is how serious these changes are, whether they will change the character of the amp in an important way and whether.

Your thoughts much appreciated.